Chuyển đến nội dung chính

The Good Guys

Over the years I've been blessed to meet many of the creators whose work I admire and respect. With some its been a chat at conventions, others I've gotten to spend time with, such as Joe Sinnott and Dick Ayers, still others email or correspondence by post. Of the old guard, to a person they have been generous, gracious and often humble. From Stan Lee to Steve Ditko, it has been an absolute pleasure to encounter such talented and unique creators. 

One of the great moments was meeting Jack Kirby. I first saw him at the 1975 Marvel Convention, when he was introduced as a surprise guest, returning to Marvel. As he walked to the podium there was a tremendous ovation from the audience. From time to time I saw Kirby at other conventions over the years, but my last encounter was a special one. It was at a New York Con, where I had taken my little brother, Terry. I was a volunteer Big Brother for many years, and Terry grew to love comics, especially the work of Lee, Kirby and Ditko (and still does. He now has children of his own that enjoy comics!). After one of the panels we were lucky enough to talk to Jack for a moment when he wasn't mobbed, and I prodded Terry to ask him a question. Terry was a little shy but finally asked Jack how he came up with the Fantastic Four. What amazed me was how Kirby spoke to Terry like he was the only person in the room. You could tell that he really liked children and it it was a special moment that both he and I treasure.

There have been so many others: Gene Colan, Gil Kane, Dick Ayers, Jim Steranko, Herb Trimpe, Marie Severin, Roy Thomas, John Romita, all part of my childhood memories. What is notable is how many of them have a true love for the medium and praise their fellow creators more than themselves. They know comics and respect both their contemporaries and those who preceded them. There are many I wish I had a chance to meet before they passed away, but I've encountered so many who are not only professional in their job, but in demeanor as well. I salute them all, and thank them for their sincere efforts. We'll not see their like again.                     

Nhận xét

Bài đăng phổ biến từ blog này

Deathblow and Wolverine #2

Strange Team-Ups Deathblow and Wolverine #2 A Wolverine story "untitled” Writer – Aron Wiesenfeld Breakdowns – Aron Wiesenfeld Finishes – Richard Bennett Letterer – Mike Heisler Colorist – Monica Bennett Computer Colors – Bad @ss Design – Emilio Medina Editor – Mike Heisler February 1997 This is a rather strange one, and not just because the Letterer is the Editor, either. It’s strange because it is supposed to be a team up between that feisty ball of marketing and claws, Wolverine…ole mister “best he is at what he does, and what he does makes Marvel a bunch of money”…and the Wildstorm/Image character Deathblow, a guy I know absolutely zero about. And after reading this entire book (twice), I still know absolutely ZERO about. Because Deathblow doesn’t show up in this issue. Oh, I mean yeah there are some panels where he is drawn in frame, but he doesn’t DO anything to advance the plot or make any difference in its outcome. He has the personality of a generic action hero and he mu...

The Twilight Zone #88

Halloween 2018 Post-A-Day: Day 31, HALLOWEEN! Horror-ible and Tie-ins The Twilight Zone #88 We look at a timeless classic TV Show tie-in Rod Serling was a special kind of genius. He loved pulp adventure stories as a kid. When he grew to adulthood, he craved stories that resonated with the headlines of the day. Philosophical stories with themes about racism, society, war, government and moral choices were his passion. As a prominent writer for television, he found network censorship his bane. His dramas were constantly hamstrung by sponsors and networks. He found that “To say a single thing germane to the current political scene was absolutely prohibited.” So Serling looked outside the standard drama. He crafted his own teleplay called “The Time Element” in 1958 and sold it to the network as a possible pilot for a weekly anthology series. It was his first science fiction story. The Time Element did extremely well in its television debut on the Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse. Well enough...

The Mystery of Kevin Banks

In the early 1970s Marvel attempted to capture a segment of the audience they had not focused on for many years. Comics geared towards young children were selling well for other companies, specifically Archie Publications, Western/Gold Key, Harvey and Charlton, and since sales figures at the time indicated that the superhero line was weakening, as further evidenced by the cancellation of X-Men , Silver Surfer , Doctor Strange and Nick Fury, Agent of SHIELD,  publisher Martin Goodman began to diversify, hoping to attract new buyers. An inexpensive way of achieving this goal was to dip into his vast Timely-Atlas inventory, which included war, western, jungle, horror and romance material.  Only one new title was created, Harvey , "inspired" by Archie's successful group of comics. Initially written by Stan Lee and illustrated by Stan Goldberg, who was a veteran colorist for Timely/Atlas/Marvel and had drawn various teen-romance titles, including the popular Millie the Model....