Chuyển đến nội dung chính

Just a short note:

Kid's Stuff RETURNS!

That's right! Starting on Monday, The Crapbox begins its annual march to Christmas with twice a week (maybe more?) reviews of comics aimed squarely at the younger set. We'll put the FORGOTTEN HEROES back in the Crapbox, but something tells me they won't be in there for long. Too many good ones got away without a review for me to not revisit that stack sometime early 2019. 

However, there will be a slight change to Kid's Stuff this year.
In the past I've focused Kid's Stuff on toy tie-ins, but this year I thought I'd do something a little different. While there are still MOUNDS of toys and video game comics floating around in the Crapbox, I thought we could tackle a different set of books. As a change of pace, so to speak.

That's why this year I'll be digging out comics that were spinoffs of new or old kid's cartoons. I'm dubbing this year's run up to Christmas "Kid's Stuff: Saturday Morning Cartoon Edition"! And sure, some of the books you'll see were more weekday afternoon programming but I'm not quibbling. If it was animated and on TV for kids at some point, into the hopper it goes. The idea is still the same: review books for their content while tickling those old nostalgia funny-bones.

Hope you enjoy this trip back in time to sitting around Saturday Morning in front of the tube eating sugary cereal in your PJ's. I know I'm having a blast with them so far! 

As a teaser, I'll be kicking off Saturday Morning Cartoon Edition on Monday with the COOLEST CAT ever to cross the television screen. Let the speculation begin!


Nhận xét

Bài đăng phổ biến từ blog này

Deathblow and Wolverine #2

Strange Team-Ups Deathblow and Wolverine #2 A Wolverine story "untitled” Writer – Aron Wiesenfeld Breakdowns – Aron Wiesenfeld Finishes – Richard Bennett Letterer – Mike Heisler Colorist – Monica Bennett Computer Colors – Bad @ss Design – Emilio Medina Editor – Mike Heisler February 1997 This is a rather strange one, and not just because the Letterer is the Editor, either. It’s strange because it is supposed to be a team up between that feisty ball of marketing and claws, Wolverine…ole mister “best he is at what he does, and what he does makes Marvel a bunch of money”…and the Wildstorm/Image character Deathblow, a guy I know absolutely zero about. And after reading this entire book (twice), I still know absolutely ZERO about. Because Deathblow doesn’t show up in this issue. Oh, I mean yeah there are some panels where he is drawn in frame, but he doesn’t DO anything to advance the plot or make any difference in its outcome. He has the personality of a generic action hero and he mu...

The Twilight Zone #88

Halloween 2018 Post-A-Day: Day 31, HALLOWEEN! Horror-ible and Tie-ins The Twilight Zone #88 We look at a timeless classic TV Show tie-in Rod Serling was a special kind of genius. He loved pulp adventure stories as a kid. When he grew to adulthood, he craved stories that resonated with the headlines of the day. Philosophical stories with themes about racism, society, war, government and moral choices were his passion. As a prominent writer for television, he found network censorship his bane. His dramas were constantly hamstrung by sponsors and networks. He found that “To say a single thing germane to the current political scene was absolutely prohibited.” So Serling looked outside the standard drama. He crafted his own teleplay called “The Time Element” in 1958 and sold it to the network as a possible pilot for a weekly anthology series. It was his first science fiction story. The Time Element did extremely well in its television debut on the Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse. Well enough...

The Mystery of Kevin Banks

In the early 1970s Marvel attempted to capture a segment of the audience they had not focused on for many years. Comics geared towards young children were selling well for other companies, specifically Archie Publications, Western/Gold Key, Harvey and Charlton, and since sales figures at the time indicated that the superhero line was weakening, as further evidenced by the cancellation of X-Men , Silver Surfer , Doctor Strange and Nick Fury, Agent of SHIELD,  publisher Martin Goodman began to diversify, hoping to attract new buyers. An inexpensive way of achieving this goal was to dip into his vast Timely-Atlas inventory, which included war, western, jungle, horror and romance material.  Only one new title was created, Harvey , "inspired" by Archie's successful group of comics. Initially written by Stan Lee and illustrated by Stan Goldberg, who was a veteran colorist for Timely/Atlas/Marvel and had drawn various teen-romance titles, including the popular Millie the Model....